Blog

The Danger of Rodenticides to Dogs

Rodenticides are just what they sound like—poisons developed to kill rodents that invade our homes, much like pesticides kill off pests like roaches or other insects. Unfortunately, these products are dangerous to dogs or other pets who come in contact with them. Learn more from a Ceres vet here.

Causes of Poisoning

There are two main ways a dog can become poisoned by a rodenticide. The first way is by coming in contact with substance directly, ingesting it. The other is by eating a rodent that has already been poisoned by a rodenticide. If your dog is the type to chase and kill rodents, he may be at an even greater risk than other dogs.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Rodenticides that are anticoagulant poisons will result in internal bleeding. You may notice blood coming from the nose or gums, or visible in urine or stool. Dogs may also become lethargic, lose their appetite, breathe rapidly, or appear weak and depressed. Other possible symptoms include seizures, loss of coordination, vomiting, increase in thirst, and shock. Call your Ceres veterinarian’s office immediately if you notice these symptoms. You’ll need to transport your dog to the pet hospital for immediate treatment.

Treatment

Your veterinarian may use a variety of treatments to counteract the poisoning, depending on the type of toxin ingested and your dog’s specific symptoms. Induced vomiting, activated charcoal to stop the absorption, fluid therapy, stomach pumps, and blood transfusions are all possible treatments.

Preventing Poisoning

It’s far easier to prevent rodenticide poisoning in your pet than it is to treat it. If you do chose to use rodenticides in your home, be careful where you place it. Put the products where your dog can’t get to it. Never leave them out on an open table or countertop. When storing the rodenticide products, make sure it is kept in a sealed container in a closed cabinet or box that your pet can’t open.

It is wise to use alternatives to rodenticides to eliminate the risk of poisoning entirely. Mouse traps or other mechanical devices, while not necessarily 100 percent safe for dogs, don’t have the same risk as rodenticides. Talk to your veterinarian about more safe alternatives.

 

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter