Call Us! Button

Request an Appointment Button

Five Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog
December 1, 2013

Most people know that chocolate, alcohol, and caffeine aren’t good for pets. Here, your Ceres veterinarian tells you about five other foods that you may be surprised to learn aren’t healthy for your dog.


Keep salty foods away from your dog, including pretzels, chips, or anything else that’s usually coated in salt. Sodium poisoning could result from your dog taking in too much salt, with symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, spasms, and even seizures. Make sure bags of chips are tightly sealed and stored away from where your dog can get at them.

Onions & Garlic

Onions and garlic can destroy your dog’s blood cells, risking anemia. While one little chunk of onion might not do much harm, a large dose or regular smaller quantities will lead to serious health concerns. That goes for all forms of onions and garlic—raw, cooked, dehydrated, or even onion and garlic powder.


A substance in avocados called persin is toxic to dogs. It’s even found in the leaves, seeds, and stems of the avocado plant, so keep your dog far away if you’re growing avocado in your garden. Don’t let your dog near avocados in your kitchen or the guacamole dish.

Macadamia Nuts

It only takes a handful of macadamia nuts to make dogs ill—weakness, vomiting, rapid heart rate, and muscle tremors are possible signs. The danger is increased if the nuts are baked into a chocolate treat, as the combination of chocolate and macadamia nuts can be quite poisonous.

Grapes & Raisins

Even small amounts of grapes—or their dried counterparts, raisins—can make a dog ill, leading to vomiting, lethargy, and even kidney failure. It still isn’t medically proven why grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, but you should keep both of them off countertops where your dog can get to them. Make sure grapes or raisins are safely stored in the closed refrigerator or a cabinet that your dog doesn’t have access to.

Call your Ceres veterinarian’s office immediately if your dog does ingest something he shouldn’t have. Quick action on your part will make for a quicker and smoother recovery for your dog.


  • All
  • Uncategorized